6.12.2010

Pagdiriwang 2010



I don't normally do any touristy stuff in Seattle but when I do, it's normally because I have out of town friends. Last weekend, friends from Portland decided to drive up to chill after a crazy weekend in Championships down in their hometown.


It was perfect timing as well that it was the Pagiriwang (celebration) of the Philippine Independence at Seattle Center. So I told them about I and of course, if there's food, the Ohana will be there.



All I'm looking forward to are the Filipino food. Eventhough I was just there Monday when I got back from Portland with Daddy.



When there's events like this, the first thing I look for is Espi's BBQ. Together with some sloppy Pansit (Filipino Chow Mein), their BBQ Pork is just amazing and has tons of flavor. Your Filipino meal won't be complete not unless you get some Lumpia. I couldnt resist but to buy extra Lumpias, being the big girl that I am. Haha!!!


Everybody found a spot by the grass and it had the perfect view of the Space Needle. Being the ChaCharazzi that I am, I snapped couple of pictures of my friends with the Space Needle as the background. I should have remembered this spot coz Daddy and I had a hard time taking pictures of the two of us with the Space Needle in it.


Here's Louis posing with the infamous Adidas D1 ball that we used in Championships. We were laughing coz we said that it will be a non volleyball weekend but somehow everybody had the itch and Bubba had to get this ball so that we can pepper a lil.



Heres my Chics leaning over the Space Needle. The picture actually came out good and its one of my favorites.


I had to put some sass and have a picture as well. Sporting the signature broken elbow pose and everyone favorite poutty lips.



Halo-halo (from Tagalog word halò, "mix") is a popular Filipino dessert that is a mixture of shaved ice and milk to which are added various boiled sweet beans and fruits, and served cold in a tall glass or bowl.There is no specific recipe for this dessert, and a wide variety of ingredients are used. The order in which the ingredients are added varies widely. Primary ingredients generally include boiled red mung beans (munggó), kidney beans, garbanzos, sugar palm fruit (kaong), coconut sport (macapuno), and plantains caramelized in sugar. Other components may include jackfruit (langkâ), star apple, tapioca or sago, nata de coco, purple yam (ube) or sweet potato (kamote), sweetened corn kernels or pounded crushed young rice (pinipig), leche flan or custard, ice cream and gelatin. Other fruits, such as papayas, avocados, kiwifruit, bananas or cherries, may also be added. Some preparations also include ice cream on top of the halo-halo.
Generally, condensed milk or evaporated milk is used instead of fresh milk, due to the tropical climate of the Philippines.
In terms of arrangement, most of the ingredients (fruits, beans, and other sweets) are first placed inside the tall glass, followed by the shaved ice. This is then sprinkled with sugar, and topped with either (or a combination of) leche flan, ube halaya, or ice cream. Condensed or evaporated milk is poured into the mixture upon serving.
The dessert exemplifies the "east-meets-west" culture in the Philippines, with the ingredients used coming from a wide variety of influences (to cite some examples: red mung beans which are from the Chinese, garbanzos from the Indians, leche flan from the Spaniards, and shaved ice itself, which was introduced to the islands by the Americans). (via wiki)


It is not a full Filipino meal on this kind of events and this just completes the hole thing. I was so excited for dessert and get some Halo-Halo. I was waiting for Allan to get done eating so we can buy one and fix our cravings. I didn't know almost everyone had the same craving and it ended up looking like a Halo-Halo party.


I ended up having a stomach flu that night. I dint know from where coz I've been eating Espi's since I moved in Seattle 8 years ago. But all in all it was still worth it hanging out with the Ohana and pigging out with all the food. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

not using xoxo,
ChaCha

- Posted using BlogPress from my ChaCha iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment